About our Faculty

Szent István University has an outstanding history and legacy of excellence and the institution stands as a central pillar of higher education not only in Hungary but also throughout Central Europe. It aims for providing the tertiary educational, research and outreach background needed for the national irrigational management at a high standard for the future agricultural generation and farming society.

The Office of International Relations has partnerships in 4 continents, with 45 countries, by 250 bilateral agreements.

St István University has campuses in different places in Hungary: The central campus is located in Gödöllő, near Budapest but has 2 campuses in Budapest, the capiatal city of Hungary and in Szarvas, in Békés County in the south east of the country.

One of the oldest and most significant training premises of Szent Istvan University for water management engineering is Tessedik Campus, located in Szarvas, in the south east of Hungary. Its predecessor, the agricultural training school on the banks of River Körös was founded by Samuel Tessedik in 1780.

    

HISTORY AND BACKGROUND

The Faculty of Water and Environmental Management is the successor of the agricultural vocational school, or ”Practical School of Diligence,” founded by the Lutheran priest Samuel Tessedik in Szarvas in 1780.

The educational work and all professional training at college is provided in accordance with the tradition of  Tessedik's institution. The Faculty tries to achieve specific, practice oriented goals based on modern theory and at the same time strives to meet the changing requirements of our times. The Faculty is also interested in offering specializations not offered by other institutions in the current structure or with sufficient depth of  knowledge. It is the high level of  professional and scientific activity at the Faculty that guarantees the quality of the content that lies behind the faculty's slogan ”Tradition, Competitive Knowledge and a Secure Future.” 

Six Institutes participate in the training with well equipped lecture rooms and seminar rooms, language and computer labs, and professional laboratories; all of which provide the infrastructure and technical background for the training. The College has an approximately 60-hectar field work centre for practical training. Its extended departments include the Körös-Maros National Park, Szarvas Arboretum, Fishery and Irrigation Research Institute and the Alföld Scientific Institute of  MTA (Hungarian Academy of Sciences) Centre for Regional Research in Békéscsaba, which are all incorporated into the educational programs. Through our international contracts more and more students spend a shorter or longer period of time in one of our foreign partner institutions (e.g. in Belgium, England, Finland, Holland, Japan, USA etc.)